Senior Machine Learning Scientist, NLP
Passionate about precision medicine and advancing the healthcare industry?
Recent advancements in underlying technology have finally made it possible for AI to impact clinical care in a meaningful way. Tempus's proprietary platform connects an entire ecosystem of real-world evidence to deliver real-time, actionable insights to physicians, providing critical information about the right treatments for the right patients at the right time.
The ideal candidate is experienced in and passionate about using natural language processing, machine learning, and neural networks to impact precision medicine using information extraction and clinical prediction models.
What You Will Do:
- Work with a team of machine learning scientists and engineers to develop NLP and machine learning solutions for precision medicine.
- Research, develop, train, test, deploy, monitor, and improve NLP and machine learning models for information extraction, relation extraction, text classification, clinical prediction, and imputation.
- Work with large unstructured corpora of clinical notes and reports as well as structured electronic health record (EHR) datasets.
- Collaborate with team members, stakeholders, product, science, and engineering to build the most advanced machine learning solutions in precision medicine.
- Perform user-centered design with customers and stakeholders to create the highest impact machine learning systems.
- Document, summarize, and present your work to peers and stakeholders.
- PhD or Master's degree with 3+ years of experience or Bachelor's degree with 5+ years of experience in a quantitative discipline such as computer science, machine learning, statistics, natural language processing, computational linguistics, computational biology, bioinformatics, applied mathematics, physics, or a related field.
- Experience with deep learning and natural language processing frameworks such as PyTorch, TensorFlow, Keras, Pandas, scikit-learn, spaCy, and NLTK.
- Strong software engineering and programming skills using Python, Linux, and SQL.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and willingness to shift priorities seamlessly.
- Experience with communicating insights and presenting concepts to diverse audiences.
- Team player mindset and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Experience building production models for text classification, named entity recognition, entity resolution, relation extraction, semantic parsing, clinical prediction, and question answering.
- Experience with BERT, GPT-4, T5, transformers, attention mechanisms, large language models, and word embeddings.
- Knowledge of GCP, Spark, and data warehousing.
- Publications in ACL, AAAI, EMNLP, ICLR, ICML, NeurIPS, or equivalent.
- Experience in the healthcare domain, especially in oncology.
- Experience working with clinical cancer data.
- Familiarity with EHR data, clinical terminology, and clinical notes.
- Experience with medical ontologies and controlled vocabularies such as UMLS, SNOMED CT, MeSH, NCI Thesaurus, RxNorm, and HGNC.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.