Lead Clinical Terminologist
Passionate about precision medicine and advancing the healthcare industry?
Recent advancements in underlying technology have finally made it possible for AI to impact clinical care in a meaningful way. Tempus' proprietary platform connects an entire ecosystem of real-world evidence to deliver real-time, actionable insights to physicians, providing critical information about the right treatments for the right patients, at the right time.
We now have more healthcare data than ever before, but providers often do not have the systems or expertise to make sense of all of this valuable data. At Tempus, we are building the infrastructure to modernize and enhance cancer treatment. We are on a mission to connect an entire ecosystem to redefine how data is used to improve patient outcomes. The Clinical Informatics team is seeking a highly-motivated Lead Clinical Terminologist who enjoys working with complex datasets and developing methods to ensure accuracy, consistency, and proper usage of medical language across various healthcare systems and platforms.
- Develop, maintain, and update medical terminologies and vocabularies
- Ensure consistency and harmonization of medical terminology across disparate and multimodal datasets
- Verify the accuracy and completeness of medical terminology by developing a robust governance process
- Create and maintain mapping between different coding systems to enable efficient translation and cross-referencing of medical data
- Create and maintain value sets to allow for efficient and consistent definitions
- Conducts regular audits and quality checks to identify and rectify any discrepancies or errors
- Collaborate with IT and Healthcare professionals to improve interoperability and compliance with healthcare regulations and industry interoperability standards
- Educate employees on the proper use of medical terminologies and coding systems, both for data producers and secondary use
- Develop and lead workshops and training sessions to promote standardized practices
Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree
- Direct experience with healthcare terminology standards and coding systems such as SNOMED CT, ICD, CPT, LOINC, and RxNorm
- Knowledge of health information technology systems, including Electronic Health Records (EHRs), Health Information Exchanges (HIEs), and other healthcare applications
- Awareness of healthcare information standards like HL7 and FHIR for data exchange and interoperability
- A strong understanding of medical concepts (especially oncology) and terminology to accurately represent and organize healthcare data
- Experience working with real world data from various sources (e.g., curation workflows, EHRs, lab systems, claims, research datasets)
- Knowledge of healthcare data security and privacy regulations to ensure compliance when dealing with sensitive medical information
- Familiarity with SQL, Python, and Semantic Web Technologies (RDF, OWL, SPARQL)
- Advanced degree in a related discipline
- Certified Professional in Healthcare Information and Management Systems (CPHIMS), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), or Certified Healthcare Technology Specialist (CHTS)
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.