Real-World Claims Data Scientist
Passionate about precision medicine and advancing the healthcare industry?
Recent advancements in underlying technology have made it possible for AI to impact clinical care in a meaningful way. Tempus' proprietary platform connects an entire ecosystem of real-world evidence to deliver real-time, actionable insights to physicians, providing critical information about the right treatments for the right patients, at the right time.
The Real-world Claims Data Scientist will be responsible for serving as the subject-matter-expert for the production, maintenance, and commercialization of Tempus’ real-world claims data product, including defining data transformations and validations, writing code to implement and maintain the data model, supporting internal and external user experience, and mentoring other analysts in performing claims-related analyses. This is a cross-functional role within Data Science working closely with Clinical Development, Product, and Engineering to ensure that Tempus real-world claims data can be utilized to its full potential by both internal and external stakeholders.
- Work within an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, engineers, and clinical SMEs to define key business logic, implement data transformations/validations, and build out quality monitoring to maintain and improve a real-world claims dataset
- Collaborate on data model enhancements and optimizations in productionalized SQL to facilitate development of sustainable and adaptable claims dataset
- Serve as the subject-matter expert on strengths and limitations of health claims data for both internal and external users
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of external-facing documentation to support use of real world claims product offering
- Work closely with product and commercial teams to ensure customer needs are addressed and opportunities are appropriately prioritized
- Help organize and apply customer feedback to prioritize internal development of new claims product features
- Advise on the design, execution, and dissemination of results for claims-related projects for internal and external stakeholders
- 4+ years experience in analyzing health claims data for clinical research, health economics and outcomes research, or similar
- Subject matter expertise in claims with notable experience around different reference sets & coding guidelines, insurance and collection procedures, payer operations & business processes, and payer/provider pipelines
- Basic understanding of data schemas/models (e.g., primary/foreign key relationships)
- Proficiency with basic SQL, including SELECT, FROM, WHERE, and different JOIN types
- Strong analytical skills and familiarity with real world data, with fluency in either R or Python
- Ability to collaborate within cross-functional teams
- An eagerness to learn new technical skills and take ownership of data-focused projects & initiatives
Suggested Qualifications (feel encouraged to apply even if not all are met):
- PhD (or equivalent experience) in health economics, epidemiology, statistics, or related field
- Industry experience working with different streams of healthcare data (e.g., claims, EHR, etc.)
- Experience working with datasets in at least one of the following areas: genetic testing, oncology, pharmaceuticals
- Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
- Strong interpersonal skills that include excellent written and oral communicative ability, and problem solving with other departments and colleagues
- Experience in generating data visualizations & summarizing outcomes
- A sense of humility and an eagerness to contribute to a supportive, interdisciplinary team
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Something looks off?