Senior Full Stack Engineer
$1.5 trillion of agricultural commodities move around the world every year. They help feed us, fuel us, and clothe us. Petrichor’s vision is to enable any food manufacturer, agribusiness, or raw materials processor to build, scale, and manage their multi-tiered supply chains for the modern, global economy.
Our mission is to make commerce easy and accessible for food companies and agribusinesses so they can make better decisions about when to buy, when to sell, and how to manage risk for their ingredient supply chains, from anywhere in the world.
We accomplish this by building connected software and services for the business functions associated with the physical and financial flow of raw materials. Petrichor integrates, automates, and provides real-time visibility into these information flows and trading processes to enable more responsive, efficient, and sustainable supply chains.
The mission of the Senior Full Stack Developer is to design, engineer, and release successive modules on our platform. The Senior Full Stack Developer will have line responsibility for supporting the initial planning and design through to implementation and maintenance of some of our core features, such as logistics visibility and inventory management. This individual will work directly with product, sales, and engineering teams to support continued feature development and additional releases over the next several years.
As a Chicago-based, venture-backed startup, Petrichor has an ambitious product roadmap and growth goals over the next several years. This role will be based out of our Chicago headquarters with a return-to-office model beginning in late 2022.
We’re humbled to be responsible for mission-critical elements of our customers’ business operations. We thrive in going after complex, dynamic, and multi-faceted problems. We are looking for those who want to join a high-performance, fast-paced, customer-focused culture.
- Design, build, test, and launch the initial version of Petrichor's logistics visibility and inventory management modules, helping automate customer workflows
- Refactoring and modifying of existing proof of concept will represent approximately 10-20% of the time and effort
- New product development will account for the remaining 80-90% of time and effort
- Build out of risk reporting module, including real-time index pricing (commodity & currency), graphs, and P&L
- Redesign, refactoring, and feature enhancement of existing contract management modules that are live with current customers to match prototypes created by Petrichor’s product design team
- Support product teams in implementing our software with customers
- Enable customers and end-users to meet desired KPIs around usage, workflow automation, operational efficiency, time savings, and risk management
- Ensure software and data architecture can scale to support growth across multiple, interrelated parties of customers (commodity traders, end-use manufacturers, raw material originators, etc.) - your solutions should have scale in mind while addressing shorter-term business needs
- Manage integrations with third party applications, where needed, to support customer data flows into and out of Petrichor’s platform
- Expand, refine, and implement processes and software tools to support customers and end-users, including issue tracking; configuration management; and security / regulatory compliance
- The platform will require SOC 2 and GDPR compliance
- During third party data integrations, the Senior Full Stack Developer will be an integral part of the implementation process and provide technical support for anomaly resolution and technical / process risk closure
- An undergraduate or graduate degree (BS/MS/PhD) in computer science, engineering, or a related discipline; or 4+ years direct experience in lieu of degree
- Deep knowledge in software design, data structures, and web architecture principles and protocols
- 3+ years of software development experience in one or more general programming languages such as Rails/Python/Java/Go; experience with Ruby on Rails is a must-have
- 3+ years of experience with front-end languages and libraries, such as Angular, React, and Node.js (we use React)
- 3+ years of experience working with Postgres or other major database solutions
- Production experience in AWS or Azure deployments and related capabilities such as Docker deployment
- Solid interpersonal skills to interact with both internal and external groups, including cross-functional teams of product designers and engineers, as well as non-technical end-users, to quickly resolve complex, multifaceted problems
- Proven ability to work in a high-growth, high-output, highly-dynamic and ambiguous environment (such as a startup or growth-stage company) with a strong sense of independence and bias for action is critical to success
- 2+ years of direct, relevant experience in software development in either enterprise software, FinTech, commodity trading, or supply chain management disciplines
- Full software product life cycle experience in an enterprise software context, including code reviews, source control management, testing, and continuous deployments
- Direct experience implementing and maintaining software with a proven focus on usability, reliability, simplicity, and security
Our Culture and Values:
Speed and focus is how we execute on our strategy. We have a bias for action. Speed is our biggest advantage.
When forced to choose between breadth versus depth, we narrow the focus and increase the quality to maintain the speed.
There is no middle ground between “success” and “failure” for our customers. We are committed to ensuring our customers succeed and hold ourselves accountable to the highest standards.
We act as Owners and Builders. It is unacceptable to say a problem is “above my pay grade.” When needed, we go directly to the person or team who has line responsibility for solving the problem.
We perform as a team, while encouraging independent thought and rigorous debate.
Whenever possible, we play the long game. When needed, we will sacrifice short-term results that are in the long-term interest of the company.
Diversity is part of our foundation - our entire industry relies on groups of people from different countries, cultures, and backgrounds coming together to coordinate a single commercial transaction. You can expect to interact with users and partners who may not speak your same language or have different business customs and cultural norms.
Our engineering and design principles are:
- Dream in Years
- Plan in Months
- Evaluate in Weeks
- Ship Daily
- Prototype for 1x
- Build for 10x
- Engineer for 100x
- What is required to cut the timeline in half for this deliverable?
- What needs to be done to double the impact?
- How does what I’m building address a specific need or solve a specific problem for our customers?
- What can I do to ensure my knowledge can be shared in a timely, efficient, and clear manner?
Competencies We Prioritize for this Role:
- Execution mindset: You move quickly and take a forceful stand without being overly abrasive
- Persistence: You demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done
- Intelligence: You learn quickly and demonstrate the ability to quickly and proficiently understand and absorb new information
- High standards: You expect personal performance and team performance to be nothing short of the best
- Work ethic: You possess a strong willingness to work hard and sometimes long hours to get the job done; you have a track record of working hard
- Attention to detail: You do not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project
- Flexibility / adaptability: You adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions; you can effectively manage through complexity and change; relentless resourcefulness is a must-have
- Proactivity: You act without being told what to do, while bringing new ideas to Petrichor
Questions You Should Ask Yourself:
- Am I comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with a high degree of ambiguity and risk?
- Do I see myself as someone who will do whatever it takes to accomplish the mission, even if that includes tedious work?
- Do I want to work hard in a role that requires some nights and weekends at a company that would never be described as easy?
- Would I enjoy working in a company that prioritizes analyzing the inputs (the quality of my work) and outcomes (what results I achieved) before focusing on the outputs (the number of hours I worked)?
- Am I comfortable with owning my own career outcomes as opposed to a heavily defined scope and progression?
- Do I enjoy taking progressively larger amounts of responsibility and like rising to the challenge when needed?
- Would I do well in an environment where autonomy and being a self-starter is expected?
- How do I respond to quality and performance standards that many people might consider unreasonably high?
- Am I willing to dig into the details to make sure I sufficiently understand a problem or task at all levels?
- Can I communicate and deliberate with conviction but also be capable of changing my mind when presented with data or information that challenges my beliefs? Once a decision is made, can I fully and wholly commit to it?