Senior Software Engineer
About Pear Commerce
Pear Commerce is the retail ecommerce platform that connects CPGs to retailers, converting shoppable media into actionable insights that fuel performance marketing
We are redefining how CPG brands think about ecommerce by providing the infrastructure for the Retail Ecommerce channel alongside DTC and Amazon. Our software and partnerships illuminate the customer journeys—from impression to sale, providing a closed feedback loop for CPGs' digital marketing efforts and allowing for true conversion-optimized campaigns (for the first time ever).
And if this all sounds like a different language…essentially, we make sure when a brand like Sparkling Ice serves an ad, they’re able to capture real-time insights into how their campaigns are performing - down to the content, platform, geo, and audience - to increase overall marketing effectiveness.
Oh, and we make the industry’s coolest and most shoppable store locators, too.
At Pear, we hire the best and then take really good care of them. We want you to grow here, and believe hiring and keeping world-class talent is a true competitive advantage. To be clear, our team is not a family. It’s a group of insanely talented and kind people that work tirelessly (but not like on the weekend or evenings) to make Pear better than it was yesterday.
Pear is a venture-backed startup and, to succeed, you must be comfortable with our approach:
• We focus on alignment so we can act autonomously.
• We are builders and do-ers and we move quickly.
• We ask why because we are curious and like to learn.
• We want the ideal team player—humble, hungry, and smart.
• We are not homogenous. We celebrate diversity.
• We work hard but know when to turn work off.
• We are not afraid of messiness, of change, of moving fast.
The Senior Software Engineer will be responsible for (i) solving challenges across the whole stack and “owning” aspects of the product (ii) documenting/maintaining Pear’s intricate infrastructure and process, and (iii) laying the groundwork for Pear’s engineering team at scale. You will collaborate closely with the engineering team (which includes Pear’s Founders), and will play an integral part in building the tech team.
The Senior Software Engineer will contribute to Pear’s biggest challenges, including:
- Canonicalization: Finding/matching a specific product (and UPC code) with 3000+ retailer websites without any unique identifiers to do a definitive match. Pear’s proprietary system automates this matching.
- Inventory checking: Pear queries retailers for whether these matched products are in or out of stock on a per store basis.
- Retailer tracking pixel: When Pear sends traffic to a retailer, our pixel observes and confirms if a shopper purchased.
- Infrastructure: Pear handles millions of web visits to its user experiences, and a far larger number of in/out of stock checks and tracking sessions at retailer websites through our tracking pixel.
- User experiences: Pear specializes in innovative ways that brands can direct shoppers to retailers and strives to make these experiences pixel perfect.
- Reporting: Pear combines activity in its own experiences with tracking from its retailer pixel to give a full funnel view of a shopper’s purchase journey (sliced and diced in a million different ways).
- Ad network integrations: Pear works with ad networks to run where-to-buy experiences directly in the ads themselves.
- 3+ years of experience in a full stack engineering role or experience normalizing datasets with many third party integrations
- Ideally having spent some time at a high-growth startup
- Strong familiarity working with REST APIs
- Familiarity with version control, especially Git
- Experience in modern web stacks and architecture
- Experience working with back-end/full stack code bases or mobile development
- Familiarity with automated testing frameworks like JUnit, Mockito, and Jasmine
- Plus but not required: AWS, API design, web scraping, AI/ML
- Demonstrated experience in problem solving and managing complex initiatives end-to-end
- Proven ability to establish strong working relationships across all levels
Head of Engineering
*bonus points if you message our Chief of Staff on LinkedIn your favorite CPG/grocery store product(s)
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive compensation packages with equity grants. Everyone has skin in the game.
- Full healthcare for you and your family. 100% medical, dental, and vision premiums paid by Pear. We'll contribute to your HSA as well. Coverage is with United Healthcare.
- Unlimited vacation. We mean it when we say we hire adults, so much so that we require that everyone take at least 100 hours of vacation a year, in addition to paid company holidays (including the week between Christmas and New Years, Election Day, and Juneteenth)
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption leave. We offer 12 weeks paid maternity leave and flexible paternity and adoption leave
- The equipment you need to succeed
- The opportunity to play a meaningful role in building and changing the status quo