Senior Manager, Legal
Posted on Thursday, February 8, 2024
Loop is building our first in-house legal team, starting with a Senior Manager of Legal. This role will set the tone and be responsible for building a legal function that is solutions-oriented, collaborative, and supportive of the changes and challenges encountered in a fast growing business. You will work directly with account executives, product and business development managers, and members of the executive leadership team to establish and drive Loop’s overall legal and compliance processes and perspectives. You will evolve our partnerships with external corporate and commercial legal counsel, right-sizing the balance of in-house vs. external support as we continue to scale.
Right away, we’ve listed what we think you’ll be spending your time on. We’re growing fast, and growth means the challenges we’ll work on together will change as we lead Loop through new and different phases.
We’ll be looking for you to have examples of when you’ve tackled these challenges throughout your career. We’ve laid out the experience we think is important to set you up for success in this role. But, we appreciate that different humans will solve problems in different ways, so we don’t expect you to fit exactly in a box of requirements.
Loop HQ is a state-of-the-art office located in Columbus, Ohio, and more than half of our team works remotely across the United States and Canada. You can choose to join us in the Columbus office or stay fully remote in this role.
What You’ll Do:
- Establish the first dedicated, in-house legal function at Loop. Several members of our operations team have worked to build out initial legal processes for customer and vendor contracting, but you’ll be responsible for using the momentum from that work to build a standalone legal function.
- Work closely and directly with members of the sales, merchant success, partnerships, marketing, product, people, and finance teams on commercial customer and vendor contracts. This includes hands-on time to redline platform service agreements, statements of work, order forms, and non-disclosure agreements.
- Oversee external corporate and commercial legal resources; establish and manage external legal budgets effectively.
- Manage complex legal issues related to data privacy, intellectual property, and commercial transactions.
- Participate actively in business negotiations with third parties.
- Lead initiatives to streamline legal processes, appropriately balancing likelihood and impact of risks with speed to action.
- Advise and engage in employment, commercial, and corporate governance legal matters. Provide guidance to executive team members to mitigate material legal risks.
- Provide training and guidance on legal matters to internal teams, as necessary.
- As the company grows, establish a forward-looking legal organizational structure and directly hire team members.
- Minimum of 7+ years of experience in legal management, preferably in a B2B SaaS environment.
- You have a Juris Doctor degree and active law license in at least one US state in good standing (or eligibility to register as authorized in-house counsel).
- You have strong expertise in contract law, data privacy, and intellectual property rights working in-house for a company.
- You are comfortable managing legal budgets and relationships with external corporate and commercial counsel, including resetting service levels and expectations.
- You start by starting, even when (or especially when) the problem and/or solution is not yet well defined. You have a bias to act first and iterate rather than hold out for the 'perfect' solution.
- You can seamlessly transition from the big picture to the small details, and get excited about rolling up your sleeves as someone who loves to collaborate across teams and levels.
- You think critically and provide pragmatic solutions to complex legal issues. You have an attitude that truly nothing is “not your job.” You feel excited by the need to act like an owner to solve problems and dig in, wherever needed.
- You’re a highly collaborative partner who enjoys working directly with the business. You look for ways to enable the business to act in a way that mitigates likely, high impact business and legal risks.
- You’re a strong communicator with excellent negotiation and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- You’re energized by starting with a blank page and crafting the building blocks to build something new, rather than just optimizing existing processes.
- You’ve directly hired and managed others and can speak to how you’ve made an impact on their careers.
In a perfect world, Loop wouldn't exist. If we had our way, we'd live in a world where we're mindful about how we consume, we love every product we own, and we share values with the brands who create them. In reality, commerce isn't perfect and often breaks. Loop creates second chances.
We're starting by revolutionizing the post-purchase experience. We've taken one of the most fragile commerce interactions - returns - and turned it into something consumers actually love, and that deepens our connection to brands and products.
We take connection seriously on the inside, too. We're building a work experience that allows you to Be A Human First and prioritizes empathy and wellbeing. We view Loop as a special place in your career to shape the future of an industry and become a better person while doing it. You can grow faster here in a shorter amount of time - we'll give you space and trust you to fill it.
Learn more about us here: https://loopreturns.com/careers.
You can review our privacy notice here.