Product Design Lead - Support Experience
The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
Kin is taking on the home insurance market with accelerated growth to help customers in climate affected states get affordable property insurance. We are a direct to customer business and our agents and support staff process complex information to ensure our customers find the best insurance policy for them. We are looking for a Lead Product Designer to join our growing design team and own our support experience to help our agents seamlessly access information and guide our customers through the policy buying process.
In this role, you will be responsible for the support experience and work across product teams to ensure a smooth experience for our internal stakeholders. You will be managing a small design team, partner with design system and research teams and collaborate closely with the policy team, agents, product managers and engineers through design jams and sprints to transform our support experience. You will play an integral role in helping Kin scale by enabling process efficiencies for internal stakeholders by helping them access the most important information at the right time.
A day in the life could include:
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ideate, design, and prototype products that push the boundaries of Kin’s Support experiences
- Design experiences with a focus on information hierarchy to help Kin agents and support staff digest large datasets to effectively support Kin customers
- Design leading-edge concepts through the craft of end-to-end flows which impact broad sets of internal users at scale
- Design new experiences or layouts that set the enterprise UX design standard at Kin and evolves our visual systems
- Play an active role in communicating strategic decisions around the future direction of Kin’s support experiences
- Give and solicit feedback from support agents and the broader product team in order to continually raise our bar for quality
- Manage and mentor 1-2 designers within the support experience team
- Lead a partnership with Product Managers, engineers, researchers, and data scientists to oversee the user experience of a product from conception to launch
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 8+ years of experience designing products for mobile and responsive web
- Work within a fast paced agile environment
- Facilitation skills to lead workshops and design sprints
- Professional communication skills, both written and verbal
- Growth mindset and willingness to absorb large amounts of information and complex context
- Experience showcasing your end-to-end design process across multiple projects, that include interaction and visual design artifacts, multiple iterations, high-fidelity prototypes, and consideration of the impact and scale of work
- Experience designing and launching impactful direct to consumer experiences
- Experience connecting your work with other industry-leading related initiatives across the company while driving collaboration and rooting design decisions in data and research insights
- Examples of leadership in non-product dimensions that have made a team stronger and positively impacted the work environment
- Bachelor's degree in design, HCI, cognitive science or equivalent experience
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Remote work
- Generous equity package
- 401K with company match
- Parental leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.