Director, Claims Operations
The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
Kin is a dynamic insurance company specializing in homeowners insurance within high-risk areas. We harness technology in a way that helps revolutionize the insurance industry, allowing our customers to have a tailored experience when they file a claim during difficult times. As we grow, we are seeking a highly motivated Director, Claims Operations to lead our Claims department and uphold our commitment to excellence to our insureds.
In this role you will be accountable for working with other business areas to ensure Claims staff has the tools and resources to do their job and service our customers to the fullest. This allows you the chance to own systems and processes that impact the entire Claims Team where you will lead and assist our Logistics, Compliance, and Training working on all of the global initiatives for Claims; these teams will be the liaison between Claims and the Kin enterprise. The Director of Claims Operations will be the primary stakeholder for Claims, signing off on system changes, project prioritization and new initiatives. Through business unit collaboration, you will help us re-evaluate current tools and processes to improve efficiencies.
A day in the life could include:
- Acting as the go-to claims business partner for short-term & long-term product and process improvement planning, quarterly claims objectives and key results, and bi-annual product strategy
- Cross-functional collaboration with teams such as product development, insurance product, revenue operations, and BI/analytics on strategic initiatives and projects
- Creating, updating, and maintaining all necessary documentation regarding workflow that is completed to oversee and handle claims in a timely and compliant manner
- Executing as a SME and primary stakeholder to understand all of the outstanding projects and necessary work needed for Claims to successfully execute on daily claim handling and large catastrophic events
- Co-owning OKRs regarding claims product and process developments as the voice of the claims department
- Prioritizing which compliance requirements are candidates for automation versus manual reviews and exception reporting
- Working in tandem with insurance product, underwriting, legal and operations to identify any gaps in processes and policy offerings that impact claims handling
- Responsible for ensuring the business units that are impacted by the changes have adequate time to prepare for changes and working with them on recovery plans and alternative solutions should the project not be executed timely or accurately for a large event
- Managing Compliance Process and System Process to ensure consistency and deliverability
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 10+ years in homeowners insurance with a proven track record of managing and developing high performing claims teams
- 7+ years of leadership experience, including 1+ year(s) in 2nd line or higher leadership, exhibiting outstanding mentorship and team growth
- Strong understanding of insurance regulations and the ability to ensure claims process comply with local and national laws, especially in territories of FL, TX and LA
- Understanding of risk assessment and mitigation strategies to minimize financial exposure or weaknesses
- Well-rounded business and claims financial acumen with a strong technical ability
- Effective in areas of compliance, claims processes, risk, and change management with an emphasis on operational excellence and front-line communications
- Unwavering ethical standards and ability to comply with company policies and industry standards
- A commitment to delivering excellent leadership and service to all claims team members and departments within the organization
- Impeccable communication skills, both written and verbal, allowing for effective collaboration with departments, clients, and stakeholders
- Experience working within an insurtech / startup environment
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Remote work
- Generous equity package
- 401K with company match
- Parental leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact!
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.