Senior Technical Program Manager
The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
As a Technical Program Manager at Kin, you will be responsible for managing mission critical technology projects as well as being a Scrum Master for teams.
You demonstrate initiative, accountability, personal agility, lean thinking, and have the ability to influence and inspire team members.
You are a master of facilitation and will facilitate the Scrum events. You will foster collaborative relationships across product and technology, and demonstrate leadership. You promote and demonstrate psychological safety in the workplace such that people and teams can thrive.
You have a passion for team building and will help with the formation of new teams, providing guidance and putting in place the events and roles clarity necessary for getting Scrum or projects started. You have experience in providing agile coaching to teams and individuals, and can train developers, product owners, and stakeholders as needed.
You are an experienced Jira user with experience in editing Jira settings and configurations. Having JSM or JWM experience is a plus.
You seek to continuously improve our Agile maturity over time by adhering to the Scrum values. You welcome the challenge of working with complexity in a scaled and fast paced environment.
A day in the life could include:
- Managing small to huge scale programs at kin that may involve multiple internal departments ensuring the whole program management aspect including scope definition, setting up project management flows in Jira, following up on progress on a regular basis, report on progress to teams and stakeholders, identifying risks and providing mitigation plans.
- Coaching the Scrum team in self-management, forecasting and planning; including the use of Jira
- Helping the Scrum team in Sprint Planning by empowering team members to right size and sequence work
- Helping the Scrum team focus on creating high-value Increments that meet the Definition of Done
- Helping the Scrum Team understand the need for clear and concise Product Backlog items and guiding them to achieve this
- Identifying and working in collaboration to remove success blockers, which may include cross-team dependencies mitigation
- Gathering team level metrics for forecasting, planning and continuous improvement
- Helping Product Owners in effective Product Backlog creation, management and refinement; including techniques for defining valuable Product Goals, how to prepare and run strong Sprint Planning, Sprint Reviews, Release Planning and various roadmap formats
- Facilitating stakeholder collaboration and facilitating release planning efforts as requested or needed
- Scaling our Agile practices through the coaching of Scrum teams, their stakeholders and the broader organization in the Scrum values and practices, ensuring clarity of roles and responsibilities and effective adoption of the practice at scale
- Participation in our Scrum Guild (community of practice) which focuses on improving agile maturity by providing mentoring, learning opportunities, disseminating best practices, and developing useful resources
- Reviewing configuration change request in Jira and able to make updates if needed
- Managing projects that span time zones
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Proactive self-starter with excellent time-management, communication, documentation and organizational skills
- 3+ years of experience as a Program Manager or Senior Project Manager for software development projects
- 3+ years of experience as a Scrum Master in a software environment
- Expert in Agile principles and methodologies with ability to scale frameworks
- Ability to facilitate workshops, coach and mentor across multiple teams and at various levels of the organization
- Strong ability to communicate, influence, engage and inspire others to drive collaboration and alignment at all levels of the organization
- Knowledge of industry-wide practices and technologies
- Experience using Agile tools especially Jira
- Experience building Scrum Teams
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Remote work
- Generous equity package
- 401K with company match
- Parental leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.