Senior Product Designer
The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
We are looking for a versatile Senior Product Designer to be a part of our growing design team. As a Senior Product Designer, you'll be involved in a wide range of activities, from conducting customer research, mapping, wireframing and prototyping design concepts to resolving complex issues in creative and effective ways in collaboration with other designers, product managers, and engineers. You’ll conduct analysis that requires divergent thinking and in-depth evaluation of variable factors for problem definition, then ideate and explore convergent thinking to drive potential solutions. You navigate ambiguity adeptly and confidently communicate complex ideas simply. Your presentation skills are top notch.
A day in the life could include:
- Ability to think holistically and dive into details, easily moving between the both
- Lead the design process of end-to-end features for various product domain areas achieving successful business impact for Kin and our customers.
- Work effectively as a thought leader cross-functionally with stakeholders in business, product, marketing and technology to understand business goals and customer needs
- Demonstrate empathy in conversations and communication with customers and team members
- Use an evidence-based approach that leverages data and product analytics to inform design decisions
- Design product solutions with a focus on human-centered design techniques
- Create documentation, specifications, wireframes, prototypes to communicate design vision
- Use brand guidelines and visual direction to inform and create high-fidelity mockups
- Create and contribute components to the Kin UI design system for mobile and responsive web
- Work with marketing and content partner to ensure UX writing is consistent with tone and voice
- Conduct research and usability testing to validate product designs and inform design decisions
- Communicate and share thinking in written, verbal, and visual forms to create alignment and move the work towards implementation.
- Possess the ability to connect business strategies, available technologies, and design solutions to deliver best-in-class experiences.
- A willingness to take ownership and responsibility for complex systems and outcomes.
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- Bachelor's degree in design, HCI, cognitive science or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of experience designing products for mobile and responsive web
- Experience working in Lean UX hypothesis driven environment
- Work within a fast paced agile environment
- Facilitation skills to lead workshops and design sprints
- Advanced knowledge and experience with Design Thinking methodology
- Professional communication skills, both written and verbal
- Growth mindset and willingness to absorb large amounts of information and complex context
- Self-starter personality who’s assertive and eager to take action
- Extremely collaborative work style thriving in a dynamic, remote-first team environment
- Facilitation and collaboration skills aimed at aligning cross functional peers
- Experience designing and prototyping with Figma is required
- Portfolio of your work highlighting your design process and examples of product design
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Remote work
- Generous equity package
- 401K with company match
- Parental leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.