Software Developer in Test (SDET)
The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
As a Software Development Engineer in Test you will be a central member of our QE automation team. You will work closely with Developers and QE Engineers on a Scrum team to determine the approach for automated testing, as well as implementing and maintaining feature, integration, and regression tests. You will interpret results from the automated tests, identify and troubleshoot issues and improve existing test automation or design more efficient tests. You will identify opportunities and contribute to continuous improvement of testing and automated processes.
A day in the life could include:
- Write and execute test cases to ensure development outputs meet acceptance criteria, technical specifications, and product goals
- Document software defects in bug tracking system and monitor bug resolutions
- Investigate, test, and debug complex issues
- Participate in code reviews
- Write and maintain unit tests and automated test suites
- Analyze automation test results and present analysis
- Participate in troubleshooting and triaging of issues with various teams to determine root cause and resolution
- Perform automated regression and performance testing
- Plan and conduct the analysis, design, test, and/or integration to assure the quality of large and complex projects
- Collaborate with various stakeholders in multiple technical disciplines including developers, business intelligence, data engineers, devops, and architects
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 4+ years of software testing experience
- 3+ years of software development / test automation experience
- Background in software testing and product knowledge in the design of tests
- Experience with QE techniques, such as black box, white box, and gray box approaches for smoke, regression, functional, user acceptance, and exploratory testing
- Hands-on work experience with setting up and maintaining test frameworks in selenium or similar tools. Bonus if experienced with Rspec and Capybara.
- Experience creating XPath queries and functions
- Experience using Git or other source code management tools
- Experience with deployments, CI/CD tools, DVCS, and database migrations
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Remote work
- Generous equity package
- 401K with company match
- Parental leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.