The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
We are looking for a passionate, entrepreneurial & hands-on engineering manager to lead one of our engineering teams. You should be comfortable working with geographically distributed scrum teams and understand the nuances of being a team player. As an Engineering Manager you play an important role on the Scrum team by owning feature delivery and ensuring the team is able to deliver high-quality software on time and within budget. In this role, you will also be responsible for leading a team of application engineers to drive innovation in full-stack product development, while relentlessly improving performance, scalability, and maintainability.
A day in the life could include:
- Serve as the engineering leader and technical expert
- Hire, nurture and mentor top engineering talent
- Foster a culture of innovation and continuous improvement
- Working with product management to develop and maintain a roadmap for your team
- Own all aspects of team and project delivery
- Drive your team to innovate and deliver roadmap features with agility and high quality
- Execute consistently, rapidly, and effectively to take ideas from concept to production and scale
- Maintain high availability of products and quick response to any production incidents
- Represent your team and product line in cross-functional discussions
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- Overall 8+ years of experience in software development & strong computer science fundamentals
- Minimum 2 years of experience managing group of 4+ software engineers
- Strong design and architecture exposure in building large scale enterprise SaaS solutions using cloud technologies.
- Experience in designing, implementing and maintaining high performance, high availability (24x7), large-scale web/mobile based software applications using modern programming languages.
- Knowledge of popular JS frameworks and libraries (React, or Angular, Vue) is nice to have.
- Experience with Relational and No-SQL databases, message queues/brokers
- Exposure to BI & big data technologies including Looker, BigTable.
- Strong communication skills and ability to grasp and convey complex product requirements or technical concepts
- Ability to work in a fast paced, iterative development environment
- Excellent command of software development life cycle activities including analysis, design, development, unit and system testing, production deployment and post-production support
- Strong time management skills and ability to work on concurrent assignments with different priorities
- Knowledge of the Insurance Industry & Products is a big plus.
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Remote work
- Generous equity package
- 401K with company match
- Parental leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.