The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
With all of our growth at Kin Insurance, we are looking for our first Property Reserving Actuary for all of our carriers. You will prepare IBNR analysis, support financial reporting functions and present quarterly results to senior management and claims teams to inform decision making. You will evaluate complex situations, using technical expertise and make recommendations or develop solutions for implementation.
Kin develops its own technology and process for handling and automating claims. You will understand and evaluate our claims processes and look for opportunities to increase efficiencies and implement those ideas. You will also lead special projects that allow for a deeper understanding of trends and emerging risks.
A day in the life could include:
- Develop IBNR Analysis for all Kin Insurance Subsidiaries for Personal Lines Property Insurance
- Quarterly presentations and review of IBNR estimates for management and claims
- Develop monthly monitoring tools for development patterns
- Support financial reporting and forecasting functions
- Understanding our claims process and providing analytics to improvement claims processes
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 3+ years of experience previously signing or assisting actuarial opinions for residential catastrophe exposed property insurance companies
- ACAS (exam 7 [US]) and MAAA
- Meets current qualifications for issuing Statement of Actuarial Opinion
- Familiar with reinsurance contracts such as Excess of Loss, Per Risk and Quota Share
- Knowledgeable and self sufficient working with BI tools or data warehouses (SQL, Looker, PowerBI, Tableau)
- Experience in Florida
- Experiencing Reserving for catastrophe events
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.
Something looks off?