Senior Payroll Specialist
Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC, English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test, and even Math.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
As Sr. Payroll Specialist, you will own the execution of payroll processes at Duolingo, including semi-monthly, multi-state payrolls as well as ad hoc payrolls. As our payroll system expert, you will work cross-functionally with other People functions (including equity, compensation, and benefits) as well as Finance and Accounting to ensure timely, compliant, and accurate payroll processing. You’ll also be the go-to person for employee questions about payroll.
- Run Duolingo’s multi-state payroll process and systems, processing our regular and special pay runs in a timely and zero-defect manner and ensuring that our payroll system has accurate employee address, salary, tax, and benefit information
- Become the go-to internal authority on the ins and outs of our payroll system
- Identify, troubleshoot, and resolve payroll issues, coordinating with all relevant collaborators and owning communication around issues and resolutions
- Be the liaison on all payroll matters for Duolingo employees and manage the relationship with Duolingo’s payroll vendor
- Partner regularly with our Finance and Accounting teams to maintain accurate records and reporting, and perform regular auditing according to internal controls
- Guarantee compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and standard practices
- Apply an attitude of “striving for excellence” and “we haven’t won yet” to the payroll function as we grow as a company to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available
- Extensive knowledge of the payroll function including preparation, balancing, internal control, and payroll taxes for a multi-state organization
- Strong organizational and project management skills and ability to deliver quickly with accuracy
- Outstanding attention to detail and process so as to ensure accuracy, efficiency, and compliance
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Humility and self-awareness, demonstrating a deep understanding of the confidentiality and integrity that comes with running compensation and other demographic data of employees
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate across People Ops, Finance, Accounting, Legal, and more
- Prior experience to thrive in a fast-paced, hyper-growth organization
- A strong desire to help others
- Ability to work in or relocate to Pittsburgh, PA.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree and 5-7 years in payroll processing for a multi-state and global company
- Proficiency in multiple payroll, HRIS, and financial systems
- Preferred Workday HCM/Payroll experience
- Advanced Excel/Google Sheets skills
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification
- Workday Certified Payroll Expert certification
- Experience implementing relevant systems and processes to serve a fast-growing start-up environment
- Experience bringing organization to teams and streamlining processes within organizations
- An impressive Duolingo streak!
We invest in and support our Duos! This role is eligible for a robust compensation package of base salary, equity, and Duolingo’s world-class benefits. The starting base salary range for this role is, $67,900 - $135,600. Actual salary may vary based on level, work experience, performance, and other factors evaluated during the hiring process.
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Take a peek at how we care for our employees' holistic well-being with our benefits here.
Duolingo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
By applying for this position your data will be processed as per the Duolingo Applicant Privacy Notice.
Something looks off?