Director of UX Research
Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC, English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test, and even Math.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
We are looking for a mixed-method research leader to run the UX Research function — bringing vision, empathy, and product experience to our growing function, to help ensure Duolingo builds thoughtful products that learners around the world need and love.
This role reports to the VP of Design as a member of the Design team, the instrumental creative partner in most projects at Duolingo—from our mobile apps and website to the brand voice and email newsletters, and even community events. At Duolingo, we take pride in and agonize over crafting a user-friendly (and fun) experience for everyone.
- Grow and lead a talented, diverse, inclusive team of UX Researchers and leaders who consistently deliver high-quality products
- Mentor and develop the skills, talents, and careers of the UX Researchers and UX Research Managers on your team, coaching them to success and impact
- Collaborate closely with leaders in other functions (Product and Engineering) to ensure that product areas are both planning well and hitting their metrics
- Set the vision for how UX Research continues to be a trusted and strategic partner for important company, product, and design decisions
- Be a tireless advocate for research influence and research priorities
- Build a thriving culture where UX Researchers do high-quality work and uphold our outstanding product experience
- Design and scale the organization, partnering closely with Leadership and Recruiting on headcount budgeting and forecasting
- 5+ years of experience as a people manager at a similarly fast paced or later-stage tech company with experience managing managers
- Experience sourcing, interviewing, hiring, and onboarding for your team, as well as spotting promising research talent
- Consistent track record of effectively managing people, including developing talent on your teams and recruiting a diverse team that reflects our learners
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills that lead to effective and concrete output
- Experience defining and influencing product strategy
- An understanding and appreciation for the accurate application of data and metrics in UX Research
- Attention to detail and a focus on excellence
Exceptional candidates will have...
- A strong appreciation for and experience working closely with Product Design, Design Operations, and Product Management
- Worked at a company with very high design standards
- Experience managing both quantitative and qualitative UX Researchers
We invest in and support our Duos! This role is eligible for a robust compensation package of base salary, equity, and Duolingo’s world-class benefits. The starting base salary range for this role is, $183,600 - open. Actual salary may vary based on level, work experience, performance, and other factors evaluated during the hiring process.
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Take a peek at how we care for our employees' holistic well-being with our benefits here.
Duolingo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
By applying for this position your data will be processed as per the Duolingo Applicant Privacy Notice.
Something looks off?