Senior Backend Engineer (Remote)
Who We Are (Mode Mobile)
We are leading the most significant disruption to Smartphones since the iPhone. We globally enable supplemental income and access to capital for budget-conscious consumers through their everyday activities. We accomplish this through a reward-based super app, Mode Earn App, that also powers the reward engine behind our proprietary smartphone, Mode Earn Phone.
Our Team and Culture Drive Our Success
Our team is the heart of our culture. We value innovation, collaboration, and curiosity, with a passion for getting things done. We strive to hire and cultivate the best team member and foster a culture of open communication and transparency. We are driven and hard-working but also committed to having fun along the way. We allow OKRs to guide us, assume positive intent, sometimes agree to disagree and commit, honor our commitments, seek to accomplish more with less, and encourage everyone to speak up as our team owns our company’s success.
You can read more about our team and how we work here.
Mode Mobile is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join one of our cross-functional pods and build great software that users love. We are a user-facing product-led team, and we are looking for someone who is passionate about helping users monetize their everyday activities.
As an engineer, you’ll be accountable for nimbly experimenting with solutions, building high-quality software, and measuring results. You’ll work closely with product managers, other engineers, designers, marketing, operations, and several stakeholders to define and execute according to our strategic roadmap to accelerate our future growth.
Who You Are and What You’ll Do
- You are passionate about the problem that most people don’t have enough money, are in debt, and are looking for ways to earn and save. You are excited to work at the forefront of solving one of the biggest challenges. You care about your users.
- You’re an expert in smartphone technology and love mobile application software.
- You value working closely with Product Management, learning directly from users about what matters to them, and developing solutions that they love.
- You care deeply about the impact of your work and measure success by the value added to user's lives,
- You partner with cross-functional team members to gain additional insight into users and seek to better understand their interests and behavior as critical drivers to success.
- You’re excited to write high-quality, maintainable, and well-tested code that you deliver in 2-week sprints. You are eager to find minimal ways to test hypotheses and validate feasibility.
- You’re passionate about automated testing and continuously shipping to production.
- You’re responsible, accountable for your actions and decisions, and take ownership for the outcomes.
What You Bring to the Team
- 5+ years of professional backend engineering experience in an agile environment delivering mobile applications to end-users.
- 3+ years of experience building AWS-based backends in support of native mobile applications, preferably with experience using:
- Ruby on Rails
- Postgres (RDS) and DynamoDB
- Redis (Elasticache)
- Sidekiq and SQS
- You’re a candid and empathetic communicator that is excited to join a startup that enjoys leveling up a company.
- You have exceptional organizational and analytical skills leading to confident independent delivery, but know when and how to include others.
- You have experience building large-scale systems with some technical leadership skills.
We All Share The Same Core Values
We Believe In The Following Workplace Norms
- Allow OKRs to Guide Us
- Assume Positive Intent
- Agree to Disagree & Commit
- Set New Precedents
- Accomplish More with Less
- Hold Yourself & Others to High Standards
- Speak Up
- Be Resourceful
- Follow the 80/20 Rule
What We Are Offering
- We are a 100% remote-first, global company.
- A competitive compensation package.
- We offer generous perks & benefits to team members.
- Participation in the Company's equity and token plan (for full-time team members).
- We provide individual bonuses in accordance with our Company Bonus Program.
- Work with energetic, passionate, and results-driven people.
- Celebrate team members' personal & work milestones.
- Remote social activities, including virtual coffee buddies.
- Bonus.ly - we use Bonusly as a way to recognize and reward team members for their hard work and commitment.
- Weekly Wednesday Get Stuff Done Days (No Meetings).
- Open PTO and generous Company Holidays (for full-time team members).
- 10 annual Wellness Fridays.
If we just described you and your perfect role, we'd love to talk with you. We have a lot to accomplish this year and look forward to making headway and creating success together!
Mode Mobile does not accept/pay fees for unsolicited resumes from third-party agencies/vendors.
Our company is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. We are committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive environment for all team members.
Something looks off?