Senior Software Engineer (Ruby on Rails)
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2024
The purpose of this role is to develop and maintain the Postmark frontend web application. You might be a great fit if you love working with Ruby on Rails, taking ownership of the quality of your own work and collaborating in a mostly asynchronous work environment. The frontend team is a small team of 4 folks working within the larger ActiveCampaign Postmark team of ~35 team members.
The ActiveCampaign Postmark team is a remote-first team that believes in the value of “deep work”. We respect and care deeply about each other as individuals, so though we are seeking a self-motivated teammate, we’re also looking for someone who will support and encourage others to do their best work.
We are always working on ways to serve our customers better while maintaining a calm and fulfilling work environment. You may enjoy reading some blogposts from some of our team members.
- You have a passion for clean code, continuous delivery and the craft of software development.
- Your background in working on similar projects gives you confidence in shipping changes to production without having to rely on someone else for the quality of your work.
- You approach conversations and opportunities with curiosity and thoughtfulness.
What your day could consist of:
- Maintaining and adding features to the Postmark web application codebase.
- Releasing your changes to production.
- Participating in our code review process.
- Troubleshooting production issues.
- Participating in on-call rotation.
- Create project plans and provide feedback to coworkers’ plans and designs.
- Recognize improvement opportunities and advocating for them with your team.
- Setting clear expectations around your work, breaking down large tasks into smaller tasks and communicating that to your teammates.
- The Postmark web application is a Ruby on Rails monolith.
- We make use of MySQL and Elastic.
- Search databasesSome parts of the application interact with RabbitMQ/Kafka/SQS.
- We deploy to AWS and rely on CircleCI and Jenkins for CI/CD.
- Terraform is used to build the underlying infrastructure
What you need:
- 4+ years of relevant experience.
- Deep understanding of Ruby on Rails.
- Ability to work outside of standard business hours for on-call rotation.
- Experience supporting production applications
- CSS, HTML, Docker and Linux
- Email-specific topics such as SMTP, SPF, DKIM, or DMARC
- Tools and workflows that support Twelve-Factor app principles
- Various deployment architecture paradigms, such as zero downtime, canary deployments, and CI/CD pipelines
Additionally, it would be great if you’re also familiar with:
What you can expect:
- Within 1 month, you’ll:
- Complete your Postmark onboarding process.
- Meet with your immediate team members.
- Get the lay of the land on our current architecture and infrastructure.
- Start understanding Postmark and how our users use it.
- Begin your on-boarding project.
- Within 3 months, you’ll:
- Meet team members across the broader Postmark team.
- Complete your on-boarding project.
- Participate in regular on-call rotations and understand how we manage incidents.
- Be familiar with our observability stack.
- Through conversations with team members, begin to understand current pain points and opportunities.
- Within 6 months, you’ll:
- Be a contributor to our future vision of what engineering looks like for the Postmark team.
- Participate in reviewing coworkers’ designs and implementation plans.
- Create plans for making improvements to Postmark and seek input from coworkers.
- Drive implementation of features and improvements and know when to solicit feedback.
This is an exciting time to join ActiveCampaign as we build out our new office in Costa Rica. You will be a large part of developing our office culture in this new Central American hub location.
ActiveCampaign helps small teams power big businesses with the must-have platform for intelligent marketing automation. Customers from over 170 countries depend on ActiveCampaign’s mix of pre-built automations and integrations (including Facebook, Google, WordPress, Salesforce, Shopify, and Square) to power personalized marketing, transactional emails, and one-to-one CRM interactions throughout the customer lifecycle.
As a global multicultural company, we are proud of our inclusive culture which embraces diverse voices, backgrounds, and perspectives. We don’t just celebrate our differences, we believe our diversity is what empowers our innovation and success. You can find out more about our DEI initiatives here.
ActiveCampaign holds the highest customer satisfaction rating among Marketing Automation, E-Commerce Personalization, Landing Page Builders, and CRM solutions on G2.com and is one of only a handful of software solutions with over 10,000 positive reviews. ActiveCampaign has also been named the Top Rated Email Marketing Software on TrustRadius. Learn more and start your free trial at ActiveCampaign.com.
Perks and Benefits:
At ActiveCampaign, we prioritize employees’ well-being and professional growth by cultivating a culture centered on collaboration and innovation. When you join our team, you’ll not only have the opportunity to make a significant impact, but also enjoy a range of benefits tailored to support your personal and career development.
Here are some of the benefits we offer:
-Comprehensive medical and dental benefits paid 100% by ActiveCampaign for you and your dependents
-Complimentary access to mental health resources through Calm and TELUS Health EAP
-Generous paid time off and leave of absence options
-Meal and transportation perks through a reloadable card
-Home office stipend to cover at-home workspace expenses
-Focus Wednesdays, where we dedicate one full day to no internal meetings and no interruptions
-Access to professional development resources through platforms like Hone and Udemy
-Baby swag for every baby born and/or adopted - we love to see our AC family grow!
-After five years of service, you’ll be eligible for a four-week paid sabbatical leave, accompanied by a sabbatical leave bonus
ActiveCampaign is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, pay, grow, and promote no matter of gender, race, ethnicity sexual orientation, marital status, political opinion, national origin, social origin, parentage, workers union membership, economic status, religion, age, health condition, disability or any other grounds protected by law.
For this position, a background check is required by ActiveCampaign, therefore, by submitting your information for this position you agree to approve if required the background check.
Our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) strive to foster a diverse inclusive environment by supporting each other, building a strong sense of belonging, and creating opportunities for mentorship and professional growth for their members.