Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2024
The purpose of this role is to improve, extend, and maintain the infrastructure on which all ActiveCampaign products are built and operated. You might be a great fit if you’re someone who thinks about engineering operations as the foundation for how software is built, and you’re excited about applying your deep expertise in systems engineering, networking, and operations in your day-to-day work.
You’ll play a pivotal role in increasing the team’s velocity, building more confidence when we ship code, and ensuring we have controls for both proactive and reactive issue management. Your success will be measured by sustaining our current operations while leading team members in the adoption of cloud native and DevOps/SRE practices.
- You have a passion for the DevOps/SRE movement, managed cloud-based system infrastructure, and systems automation tools.
- Your background in designing, building, and operating large systems with varying scalability, availability, and performance requirements gives you confidence in managing our distributed systems at Postmark.
- You see systems work as a way to serve the broader organization and approach conversations and opportunities with curiosity and thoughtfulness.
The Tech Stack
- We are in the process of transitioning our software from co-located Linux/Windows environments to cloud native applications running exclusively on Linux.
- Our largest backend stack is primarily written in C#/.NET, and some of the technologies and platforms you will be interfacing with on a daily basis include: AWS (Lambda, RDS, ECS, etc.), MySQL, Elasticsearch, RabbitMQ, Terraform, Kafka, Grafana, Docker, and Kibana.
What your day could consist of:
- Maintain, sustain, and grow our current infrastructure.
- Participate in the on-call rotation.
- Evolve our operations and infrastructure to meet the needs of our customers as well as our team members.
- Troubleshoot operational issues ranging from ECS tasks failing to start, to MySQL replication lag.
- Mentor engineers on how to observe and support their software and be an advocate for our continued adoption of cloud native practices.
- Define and drive consistency in the developer toolset across different tech stacks, product lines, and product maturity levels.
- Partner with Product and Customer Success to educate and advocate for privacy and security improvements in our products.
- Long-term system capacity planning and improving overall system resilience
What is needed:
- Experience administering Linux servers.
- Deep understanding of networking concepts (DNS, routing, load balancing, NAT).
- Experience in at least one programming language.
- Container management and orchestration experience.
- Experience managing production workloads with one or more public cloud providers.
- Familiarity with email-specific topics such as SMTP, SPF, DKIM, or DMARC.
- Used tools and workflows that support Twelve-Factor app principles.
- Experience with various deployment architecture paradigms, such as zero downtime, canary deployments, and CI/CD pipelines
What you can expect:
- Within 1 month, you’ll:
- Complete your ActiveCampaign/Postmark onboarding process.
- Meet with your immediate team members.
- Get the lay of the land on our current infrastructure.
- Start understanding our products and their underlying infrastructure.
- Begin your first project: containerizing and creating a deployment pipeline for a small, existing web app that is used internally by our team.
- Within 3 months, you’ll:
- Meet team members across the company.
- Complete your first project.
- Participate in regular on-call rotations and understand how we manage incidents.
- Be familiar with our observability stack.
- Through conversations with team members, you are beginning to understand current pain points and opportunities.
- Be comfortable making changes to production AWS resources using Terraform
- Within 6 months, you’ll:
- Be comfortable running incidents and collaborating across teams to pull in the necessary team members to address operational issues.
- Own deliverables to improve or streamline parts of our infrastructure and move us closer to more cloud native practices.
- Be a contributor to our future vision of what engineering looks like at Postmark.
- Begin understanding our remaining on-premise hardware setup and how to support it.
This is an exciting time to join ActiveCampaign as we build out our new office in Costa Rica. You will be a large part of developing our office culture in this new Central American hub location.
ActiveCampaign helps small teams power big businesses with the must-have platform for intelligent marketing automation. Customers from over 170 countries depend on ActiveCampaign’s mix of pre-built automations and integrations (including Facebook, Google, WordPress, Salesforce, Shopify, and Square) to power personalized marketing, transactional emails, and one-to-one CRM interactions throughout the customer lifecycle.
As a global multicultural company, we are proud of our inclusive culture which embraces diverse voices, backgrounds, and perspectives. We don’t just celebrate our differences, we believe our diversity is what empowers our innovation and success. You can find out more about our DEI initiatives here.
ActiveCampaign holds the highest customer satisfaction rating among Marketing Automation, E-Commerce Personalization, Landing Page Builders, and CRM solutions on G2.com and is one of only a handful of software solutions with over 10,000 positive reviews. ActiveCampaign has also been named the Top Rated Email Marketing Software on TrustRadius. Learn more and start your free trial at ActiveCampaign.com.
Perks and Benefits:
At ActiveCampaign, we prioritize employees’ well-being and professional growth by cultivating a culture centered on collaboration and innovation. When you join our team, you’ll not only have the opportunity to make a significant impact, but also enjoy a range of benefits tailored to support your personal and career development.
Here are some of the benefits we offer:
-Comprehensive medical and dental benefits paid 100% by ActiveCampaign for you and your dependents
-Complimentary access to mental health resources through Calm and TELUS Health EAP
-Generous paid time off and leave of absence options
-Meal and transportation perks through a reloadable card
-Home office stipend to cover at-home workspace expenses
-Focus Wednesdays, where we dedicate one full day to no internal meetings and no interruptions
-Access to professional development resources through platforms like Hone and Udemy
-Baby swag for every baby born and/or adopted - we love to see our AC family grow!
-After five years of service, you’ll be eligible for a four-week paid sabbatical leave, accompanied by a sabbatical leave bonus
ActiveCampaign is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, pay, grow, and promote no matter of gender, race, ethnicity sexual orientation, marital status, political opinion, national origin, social origin, parentage, workers union membership, economic status, religion, age, health condition, disability or any other grounds protected by law.
For this position, a background check is required by ActiveCampaign, therefore, by submitting your information for this position you agree to approve if required the background check.
Our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) strive to foster a diverse inclusive environment by supporting each other, building a strong sense of belonging, and creating opportunities for mentorship and professional growth for their members.